Thursday, March 27, 2014

Trekking back to the city of Kathmandu

At the beginning of each trek, I smugly nod at my three outfits…proudly organized into my  "wear, share and air" program…yet once the temps drop to zero, my night wear jumps into the line up, all shrouds fight for position on my body, and soon I look like the Yeti and smell like the yak train. In collaboration, fatigue steals away any thoughts of ice cold showers and convinces me that everything smells better with a smile. However, at some point the almighty "Duffel" calls us all in and my clothes and I roll ourselves together and board the plane for Kathmandu. In an effort to keep my friends, I hose off an outfit or two for the three day race around the city, checking out Deepak and Indira's programs, and stopping at the training centers, the local orphanages, and the stunning Tibetan Monastery. Now I face the return flight from Kathmandu–to Dehli–to Paris–to JFK-to PDX, so yesterday, on my last spin of a prayer wheel, I requested that the airlines lose my duffel, hand over a small sum of money and bless me with a fresh start.
 The new Tibetan Monastery.

      A nine day celebration at the local monastery brought out the crowd.


 
Outside the cirty, on a beautiful hillside, this orphanage provides security and education for children.


 One of Indira's programs provides training for Nepali youth. 
This particular session was on conflict resolution.

I'm particularly taken by and proud of the work Indira and Deepak are involved with.
 Their programs are making a difference in Nepal.

I'm most pleased with the plum wine created by Deepak.
I'm not a wine person, but if I had stayed in longer…I would have become addicted.

Deepanker, a graduate of Oregon State, entertained us with Nepali music.

No comments: