Wednesday, April 22, 2009

The Tibetan Village of Khunjung

This modern Tibetan kitchen produced the best old fashion Tibetan bread; however, I almost missed the opportunity to taste it  My Sherpa guide got into a heated political discussion with this "strong" Sherpa woman.  He lives much further down the mountains, below Lukla.  After the Maoist promised his village many improvements, they got his vote.  In contrast, the Sherpa woman, living very close to the Tibetan border with even closer ties to her Tibetan relatives, hated the Maoist.  Words flew and it was easy for me to see that he was getting ripped and I was losing my Tibetan bread.  I finally intervened, pushed him out the door, and started talking to her about her beautiful kitchen, village and monastery.  Also, I told her I had spun all of the prayer wheels.  At last, my Tibetan bread!




No comments: