Friday, April 10, 2009





Namche Bazar from my deck,  Mt. Everest from the high ridge plus Lhotse and Lhotse Shar in their grandeur.

After leaving Lukla and trekking to Phakding, the Kumba Region opened up spectacular views of Sherpa Villages, suspension bridges, moutain ranges and raging rivers. At the lodge in Phakding, I met many Europeans and Asians all as excited as I am. The next day we trekked together in the morning with enough breath to talk. However, in the afternoon, as we started a four hour climb straight up hill to Namche Bazar, it was all business. Many groups left us in the dust as we were moving very slowly; however, by late afternoon, one step at a time we passed some of those eager legs collapsed on the side of the trail. One of the Russians from the Photo/Journalist group was very sick, as were others who tried to ascend too quickly. To make matters worse, a storm blew in and covered us with snow, sleet, hail and rain. Fortunately, I yanked out my wonderful rain gear and trudged on. We were so happy to finally make it.
Today, we climbed up to a high ridge to see the National Park Monument surrounded by all of the high mountains. I can't believe that I am really here looking Everest, Ama Dablam and the rest of the cast. I spent hours gazing at the Kumba Region that I have read and dreamed about my whole life. I am so happy!


No comments: