Monday, November 12, 2007

Life is a paradox.


Peggy, Judy and Emily,

Today, I was standing in a grocery aisle trying to buy hand sanitizer for my trip to Nepal, but all I could see were the three of you staring at me with puzzled looks. In unison, you chanted:

“In 100 plus temperatures, we skinny-dipped in rivers, lakes and cow-tanks, feeling free to pee and drink in the same water. ‘Don’t ya’ll deny it!’ We hiked the rocky trails with the rattlesnakes, canoed with the water moccasins, and raced over the ticks, chiggers, scorpions, stinging nettles and stickers. We learned to listen for the clues, beach our canoes and shake out our shoes. We rinsed our hands and brushed our teeth in the slow moving water of the Trinity and the Brazos. So Rosemary, why do you need hand sanitizer?”

I shrugged my head and said, “I don’t know!” I left wondering, “What do tourist buy when they are preparing for a trip to Texas.” Life is a paradox!

4 comments:

Mero naam Rosie Ho said...

Great pics.

abear said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
ST said...

Rosie, I'm glad to see your trip so fast approaching and I'm a bit in awe of your writing style and ability. Good stuff; keep it coming!

Judy said...

Now Rosie, really why do you need to take hand sanitizer when the
leeches will suck the grime off!
(this comment was for Peggy who seems to be overly interested in the leeches).
Wow, those last pictures really bring back fond memories growing up in Texas; childhood friendships are the best.
Talk about true grit, you have it!Judy