Tuesday, November 27, 2007

Hiking the Gorge

"The Gorge" was a breathtaking "10" on Saturday’s training hike, but in my next life, I am going to make friends with hikers who have short legs. My hiking buddy, Tami, is a shoo-in for a "Dancing with the Stars" finalist, and she led Ron and I to the top of Wakeena Falls with the same foot to the metal approach she uses to back out of her driveway. To add to the day’s challenges, we decided to return by way of "barricaded" Multnomah Falls. We risked getting $300 fines for slithering past the "Closed due to Icy Conditions" sign posted by the Forest Service. Now, Ron and Tami have tap danced their way out of paper bags while I, on the other hand, have had my wages garnished for an innocent crosswalk infraction during a police sting operation. Therefore, I timidly followed them with visions of my $300 Tibetan Carpet lying on the hearth of the Multnomah Falls Lodge. As luck would have it, the rangers missed us as we slid across Benson Bridge and quickly climbed around the stoic barriers before silently blending into the crowd of onlookers. Following our breathtaking risk, we ate at the lodge, reviewed our experience and refected on the scenic wonders of The Gorge. The day truly was "a perfect 10."

No comments: