Friday, January 4, 2008

Chitwan National Park Safari




The Chitwan National Park opened in the late 70's after Nepal unlocked it's borders and allowed travelers to trepidly explore it's mountains and valleys. This lodge, built in 1988, looks and feels like a worn shoe from the 40's. It has flavor of strange proportions, depending on a persons point of reference. The naturalist was very antimated; moreover, after instructing us on the action to take if confronted by a bear, a one horned rhino, a tiger, a leapord or a boa, I determined in my own mind that I would just do myself a favor and pass out. When he pointed out the fresh tiger tracks, I couldn't remember if I was supposed to climb a small tree ( that was for the bear), lay on the ground and cover my head, back away slowly and quietly, get behind a big tree (that was for the rhino) or any of the other non-appealing instructional directions.

Our two nights spent at the Jungle Lodge gave us the opportunity to ride the elephants, view the wildlife, take a river trip, go on nature hikes, sleep in a screened/thatched roofed room while nestled up to a hot water bottle, sing around the campfire in the round house and dine on the grounds.

No comments: