Sunday, March 25, 2012

Lukla is a bustling village




Lukla is an exciting place because all treks and climbs start and end here unless a group hikes in from Jeeri. As a result, tea houses, coffee shops and shop fronts are full of music, chatter and bartering. My first order of business was to find the Lukla post office. I was given multiple directions by various people who seemed to know; however it turned into quite an adventure. After radiant conversations with locals, I arrived in the vicinity and circled until I spotted a sign on a window of a charming house, in a pasture at the end of the runway. After walking around the house, I spied an open doorway, asked permission to enter and heard a voice say, "up." A women appeared and pointed at the stairway. Sure enough, a man at the top nodded that a room to the right was indeed the post office and soon I was in conversation and action, mailing my postcards and discussing the post office. The postmaster pulled out a sack, reached in and selected some stamps, licked them, stuck them on my post cards, and stamped them with a big club. On my way back up the mountain, I shared my experience with a couple of Britts who had been searching for the same place and were delighted to hear my story and directions.

No comments: